Would you like to work at North Island Kayak?
Fun, Driven, Outdoor loving. If you bring those qualities with you to work day in and day out, we want you on our team! Our guiding, office, maintenance, administration and management staff are the heart of our organization.
The work culture at North Island Kayak is based on mutual respect and performance. Each member of our team has their responsibilities and is equipped, or provided training to acquire, the skills to perform their contribution to the smooth-running vacation experience our guests deserve, while being assured that those around them are equally dedicated and skilled at performing their roles.
We have an assortment of guiding and shoreside opportunities for Summer 2021. NIK employees may take advantage of subsidized communal housing near our location in Telegraph Cove, full sponsorship for relevant certifications, and a variety of other perks.
Summer 2021 Opportunities
*Positions have been filled for the 2021 season. However, feel free to send us your resume and which position you are interested in, so that we can contact you should opportunities become available.
- *Lead Sea Kayak Guides (SKGABC L2 & SKGABC L3) – Mid May through September (shorter contract work available)
- *Assistant Sea Kayak Guides (SKGABC AOG) – June through September
- *Sea Kayak Day Guides (SKGABC Level 1) – June through September
- *Guide Captain – Mid May through September
- Kitchen Coordinator – May through September
- *Guest Experience Agents – June to September
- *Reservations Supervisor – June to September
- *Office Coordinator – May to September
- *Maintenance Coordinator – April to October
- *Operations and Maintenance Team Member – June to September or July & August
- Very competitive pay rates.
- Subsidized local accommodation. Live, work, and learn all summer with a great crew of guides and support staff.
- We provide full sponsorship and support in the pursuit of advanced certifications.
- Access to Pro-deal purchases from leading outdoor suppliers.
- We provide opportunities for internal advancement and joint employment with Prince of Whales Whale & Marine Wildlife Adventures.
- An opportunity to work in a beautiful area with spectacular wildlife.
- A great work environment.
- Team-based continuous learning, skill development & other training opportunities.
- Discounted opportunities to partake of other Telegraph Cove activities and attractions.
- Be part of a world-class company.
We pride ourselves on our cohesive team that develops as we live and work together. Through preseason training, co-guiding with a variety of other guides on multi-day trips and the amount of shoreside face-time we get because our communal staff accommodation we have been able to cultivate a relaxed culture of continuous growth and mentorship. We offer opportunities for guides to lead or assist on:
- 2 to 6 hour day trips in the Johnstone Strait
- 2 to 5 day multi-basecamp adventures in the Johnstone Strait and Blackfish Sound
- 6/8 day nomadic expeditions in the Broughton Archipelago
About North Island Kayak
At North Island Kayak we believe in the opportunity nature offers us to connect with those we are alongside, as well as the fun and excitement that wildlife, whirlpools and general tomfoolery can provide! We strive to share our passion for the outdoors with guests through a variety of guided sea-kayaking trips.
We are located in Telegraph Cove on northern Vancouver Island. NIK has been in continuous operation in the area since 1991. We provide our guests with a spectacular wilderness vacation experience, while ensuring the safety of all and minimizing any negative environmental effects of our presence. Our sea-kayak tours operate between the months of May & September each year. Maximum operating levels are reached in the months of July & August when we employ 15+ guides and 10+ support staff, 6 basecamps and 120+ kayaks. Our commitment to excellence has resulted in us being awarded Tripadvisor Certificates of Excellence for all years 2014 through 2020 and inclusion in their Hall of Fame for 5 years in a row!
Our tours operate on a seasonal basis and our employment opportunities follow this seasonality. Although most North Island Kayak employees return year after year there are always opportunities for enthusiastic new team members. In 2019, North Island Kayak began operation under new ownership of Prince of Whales Whale & Marine Wildlife Adventures. We are excited to offer joint career opportunities for those looking to work in both the kayak and vessel sectors of the marine tourism industry. Our Prince of Whales locations include Telegraph Cove, Vancouver, and Victoria.